Do you wonder why Windows 10 very slow and Unresponsive? although it is expected to be very fast? If so, you are not alone at all. There are many other Windows users experiencing the same problem, like you. In this article, we will explain the reasons “Windows 10 is very slow and Unresponsive” and practical solutions for it.
Until now, Windows has offered several updates, and with each of them, they introduced several new features. As a result of these updates, Windows has become an exceptionally easy-to-use operating system. With the Windows 10 update, we expected a powerful and smooth operating system because most of us did not like Windows 8. The truth is that Windows 10 actually shows significant success, but it is not 100% perfect as expected.
Windows 10-related issues range from intense data collection procedures to highly impactful updates. Many users criticize these issues, including professional reviewers and regular users. Admittedly, Windows 10 comes with an impressively sleek design and several additional features. However, despite all those developments, many people wonder why Windows 10 is so slow. Although Windows 10 is supposed to boot fairly quickly, many of those PCs can take a considerable time to start. In addition to that, you may experience slow-running applications. However, you don’t want to be distressed because you are not alone in this case.
We’ve put together this article to explain the reasons behind a slow Windows 10 computer. In addition to that, we explain practical solutions to address these issues. So, you can keep reading if you’re upset with a low-performing Windows computer.
There can be several possible reasons for the Windows 10 operating system to run very slowly. In this segment of our article, let’s have a look at those reasons.
01. There are too many startup programs, so Windows 10 slows down
Table of Contents
Do you realize that your PC takes too long to start or even freezes during startup? If so, that can happen mainly due to too many startup programs. To fix this problem, you need to disable those additional apps that impact startup.
- First of all, press the ‘ Windows ‘ key and the ‘ X ‘ key simultaneously. This will open the Quick Link menu. You must click on ‘ Task Manager ‘ from this menu.
- Once the task manager opens, you will see various tabs in it. Click on the tab labeled ‘ Start.
- Now you can check the list of programs found at startup. Then you can find the programs you no longer need in the start menu. To your surprise, you will find many programs on this list if you review it after a long time. After finding the programs you no longer need, you should right-click on it. Then, you will see a popup menu in which the ‘ disable ‘ option is placed. You must repeat these steps for all programs that may affect the performance of your computer.
02. Due to corrupted Windows system files
You can see Windows 10 slows down if it has driver errors, blue screen, black screen, etc. Such problems can create serious impacts on the performance of your PC. Below are the steps you need to take to resolve this situation.
If Windows 10 is very slow and unresponsive due to wrong driver or system files then this is the solution. To do this, you can first try the built-in tools offered by the Windows operating system itself. The first tool is the Deployment Image Service and Administration Tool, which is also known as DISM. The second way to try is System File Checker. The steps to follow when using these tools are listed below.
- First, you must type the text ‘ PowerShell ‘ in the Windows search bar. Then press the Enter key on the keyboard. Once prompted, you must right-click on the desktop application and choose Run as administrator .
- You should now see the command-line interface. At this, enter the text dism.exe / Online / Cleanup-image / Restorehealth . You can do this in the window that already appeared. Now, press the ‘ enter ‘ key on the keyboard. As a result, you will see that the DISM tool is starting to find corrupt files. Also, it will replace those corrupt files.
- First, you must open ‘ PowerShell ‘ from the Windows search bar as you did in the previous step. Also, be sure to run it as administrator.
- Now, type the text ‘ SFC / scannow ‘ in the search bar and press the ‘ enter ‘ key on the keyboard.
This process will begin to replace the damaged files and eventually repair the PC. When the process is complete, you will need to restart the PC. If your Windows 10 is very slow and unresponsive due to corrupted files then this should fix it. As a result, the respective PC must be run very smoothly and with better performance.
03. You have opened too many programs at once
In fact, this may be obvious to many users. As a result of running many programs at once, your computer will not be able to handle the job. For example, if you have a very powerful computer with a high-end configuration, you won’t notice much discomfort. But, if you have a computer with average performance, you may notice a significant loss in performance. Simply put, getting rid of running programs will help computers run faster. Therefore, to be sure, you should check the task manager.
As a result, your computer will perform a very slow browsing speed and the applications take too long to load. Also, the application screen may freeze frequently if your computer suffers from this problem.
The solution to this problem can be done simply by closing the applications that are no longer necessary. For doing that, you may use the task manager.
- First of all, you must type the text ‘ task manager ‘ in the Windows search bar. So you should open it.
- As a second step, you should see that there is a list of programs that are currently running. Likewise, this window shows the measure of memory devoured by the particular programs that are running. Subsequently, you can without much work recognize the most effective programs on the PC. You can even sort the programs by used memory by clicking on the memory column.
- Now, right-click on the respective program and select ‘ Final task.
- Other than that, you should also close all additional tabs in the browser and quit the applications in the background. This process will allow you to free up RAM and allow your PC to run smoothly. Furthermore, it will also reduce CPU bandwidth.
04. Hyperactive antivirus program to slow Windows 10
Many of you wondering why Windows 10 is so slow may have hyperactive antivirus programs. Although having an antivirus program is a good approach, it can sometimes be problematic. When your antivirus program is extremely active, it will create an impact on the performance of your PC.
To fix this, you will need to change the settings of your antivirus program. The process may vary slightly depending on the type of antivirus program used. Anyway, here is a general guide to change the antivirus program settings.
- Start your antivirus program (either through the taskbar or the start menu of your PC).
- Then go to the ‘ Settings. ‘option and click’ Scan schedule. After that, you need to choose a scanning process that does not affect your PC.
- You can change the time and date of the scan and reprogram them. Also, you can change the scanning frequency.
05. If your hard disk is running out of space
Do you notice that your PC runs incredibly slow (probably half its normal speed)? If so, you should check your computer’s hard drive and see if it has enough space. If your hard drive is almost full (more than 95% of its capacity), your computer will surely be slower. When there is not enough space for temporary files, you will see a significant drop in performance. To solve this problem, you will have to clean your hard disk without waiting. In most cases, you can free up a considerable amount of space by deleting unnecessary files. Below are the steps to do it.
- As a first step, open Windows Explorer.
- Next, you should look for folders that may be full of various types of data. In this case, folders like ‘ Temporary files ‘ ‘ Applications and games ‘, etc.
- Open those folders and then delete the subfolders and files that have bigger files.
06. Your PC’s power plan makes Windows 10 slow
Are you experiencing impressive battery life on your laptop but not working as expected? If so, it may be related to your laptop’s battery plan and may be serviceable. To fix it, you simply need to change the battery plan settings. If the battery plan is set to ‘Battery Saver’ or ‘Recommended’, you may need to change it. Here we are explaining to you how to do it.
- In the search bar of your Windows 10, type Power Options. Then go to the ‘ Edit Power Plan ‘ found in the Control Panel.
- Click on’ Change advanced power settings.
- Choose the option called ‘ High Performance ‘ and hit OK.
- This option will now increase PC performance. However, you will experience noticeably low battery life as a result.
Other solutions to test if Windows 10 is very slow and unresponsive
Here are some other solutions to try.
Use Windows Troubleshooter if Windows 10 is very slow and unresponsive
- Go to ‘ Control Panel ‘ and select the ‘ Security and Maintenance ‘ option.
- Click on ‘ Start Maintenance ‘ located under ‘ Maintenance.
Use Performance Monitor if Windows 10 is very slow and unresponsive
- Go to the Windows search box and type ‘ perfmon / report.
- Press enter. ‘
This will give you a full report that mentions the issues that affect the performance of your PC.
If you have further queries related to the ‘ windows 10 very slow and unresponsive ‘ problem, please leave us a comment.
Read More Articles:
How to fix Error 0xc0000185 in Windows 10, 8 and 7