Wireshark is a program that checks the packets transmitted by the communication device (network card, modem cards, etc..) Computer. The objective of this type of software, also known as sniffer, is to detect network problems, suspicious connections, assist in developing applications and any other activity related to network.
Heard in Ethereal? This is the newest version of this excellent software that changed the name but it remains the most popular network traffic analyzer in the world!
This program evaluates the traffic packets received and organizes them by protocol. All incoming and outgoing visitors are examined and displayed in a listing of easy navigation. The program is suggested for computer professionals, particularly network managers, and academic reasons.
- Data can be captured from FDDI, PPP, Ethernet, Token-Ring, IEEE 802.11, Classical IP over ATM interface and loopback .
- The files can then be edited and converted via command line.
- 750 protocols can be dissected.
- The output can be saved or printed as plain text or PostScript.
- The data display can be refined using a filter.
- Display filters may be used to selectively highlight and display color information in the summary.
- All parts of captured network trace can be saved to disk.